Monday, January 24, 2011

Distracted

Rhyan's been busy with home school assignments. The end of the semester is Wednesday, so he crammed his final tests and essays this last week and is now enjoying the XBox Kinect Santa dropped off last month.

Rhyan found concentrating on school work for such long periods of time to be very difficult. He even wrote an essay about it...


The Distraction of My Puppy


            Have you ever been distracted by something more interesting than what you were already doing that was really important? If you haven't, you’re lucky, or just not normal! I have to live with this challenge everyday! The distraction is my super cute, ball-of-fur puppy. It's like she has mind-control over me. I get distracted by her cuteness and follow her to the living room where we roll around on the floor. Then mom comes in and sees that I'm not doing my homework. She get angry, tells me to go back to my room, I sit down at the computer and the next thing I know, Chloe is in my face and has mind-control over me again. The cycle restarts. It’s not that I don’t want to my school work, it’s that I want to play with my puppy because she's so freakin' cute!

The Cute One - Chloe
            Every morning after I eat breakfast, I take The Cute One for a walk. We come home, I take the leash off of her, and Chloe runs to my mom and takes a leap of faith into her arms, hoping she'll catch her, just to say hi. I go to my room, turn on the computer and I start my homework. Fifteen minutes of doing homework and the distractions start. Chloe comes into my room and jumps on my bed, licks my face, does a little puppy-Pilates stretching. I’m sucked in by her charms and I follow her to the living room to play with her. Other times, she comes into my room and starts rolling on the floor, offering her belly to be scratched, and of course I have to scratch it. Sometimes she sits on my bed, lifts one of her paws like it’s hurt, shifts paws, cocks her head to one side and looks straight into my eyes with her big black shiny eyes. It's like puppy mind-control! I can’t resist that! The next thing I know I'm in the living room, on the floor playing with her. Then my mom comes in from the kitchen and finds me playing on the floor, gets mad, yells at me to go back to my room and then I get frustrated because I don't like when my mom gets mad at me. Plus, I'd rather be playing with my puppy than writing another essay.

            Getting distracted by the puppy causes a lot of problems. When I don't do my homework, my mom gets angry. This happens several times a day and we both end up being mad all day. Those days are days that bring me close to getting the Xbox taken away from me. To me, this is a very bad consequence.  If I don't complete essays, I don't get to go to bass practice and Taekwondo and I have to work late at night getting it done. This makes me tired and makes me want to snuggle my puppy.

            I have to live with this challenge every day. As I’m writing this right now, Chloe is trying to get on top of me, nudging my computer out of the way with her nose. She’s now rolling onto her back, trying to get me to scratch her belly. From my lap, she sees a dog outside through the living room window. She jumps off me, and is now doing laps around the house, running from window to window, looking like a white blur every time she passes me. Who can resist that? I know I can’t! If you think you wouldn't have a problem with the distraction that I have, you would have to be weird.

No comments: